21st Century Insurance has been providing car insurance to Californian motorists since 1958. 21st is wholly owned by the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies, which serves residents of all 50 states with car, home, and life insurance. But it remains the character of a small, independent company, specializing in auto insurance in California with policies and educational resources specially designed for California drivers.
Pros and Cons
If you’re a California motorist, the main benefit of going with 21st Century is that it’s a small insurer specializing in California vehicle insurance owned by a large insurer specializing in different insurance products for residents of all 50 states. 21st Century Insurance offers a range of car insurance discounts to fit all types of drivers in California – from young drivers to seniors, to those with a good record or an anti-theft device installed in their car.
21st doesn’t directly serve non-California motorists, but if you live in one of the other 49 states, the good news is it can connect you with a car insurance quote through its parent company Farmers. Simply enter your zip code on the 21st Century home page and click “Get a Quote” to be redirected to the Farmers home page. Or put in a zip code for your dream California destination and get moving to the Golden State.
Types of Auto Insurance
21st Century offers all the standard forms of auto coverage required by California motorists.
- Liability. As per California law, 21st provides bodily injury liability with at least a $15,000 limit per person and $30,000 limit per accident, and property damage liability with at least a $5,000 limit.
- Collision. This is voluntary in California and covers damage to your vehicle if you hit another car or object. Note that if you’re financing or leasing your vehicle, your lender may require you to purchase this as part of your contract.
- Comprehensive. This is voluntary in California and covers non-collision incidents such as theft, vandalism, and weather incidents. Note that if you’re financing or leasing your vehicle, your lender may require you to purchase this as part of your contract.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also voluntary in California and covers medical expenses such as hospitalization, rehabilitation, and lost wages.
- Uninsured / underinsured motorist. Another voluntary type of coverage, this covers liabilities if an uninsured or underinsured driver is at fault in an accident.
True to its commitment to California motorists, 21st Century also offers the following types of driver rewards and discounts:
- Safe driver discounts: Includes discounts for: clean driving record; taking drivers’ education programs; in case of teen drivers, having good grades; completing defensive driving course; installing automobile safety features, such as air bags and anti-lock brakes. To qualify for good driver discount, policy holder must have been licensed for 3 straight years and have not received more than 1 point for driving violations.
- Multi-car discount: Reduced premium for covering multiple vehicles under one 21st Century insurance policy.
- Mature driver discount: Rewards California drivers aged 55 and over with reduced premiums. In order to qualify, drivers must complete state-authorized defensive driving course.
- Educational resources: Free online tools and resources include explanatory articles on how to find a good auto repair shop. The educational section isn’t as comprehensive as some other car insurers, although it does include some useful information on driving and car insurance specifically for California residents.
How to Apply
To get a quote for 21st Century Insurance auto coverage, simply fill out the short online form or call the toll-free number below. You’ll be asked to provide the following details: zip code; driving history (for you and any other drivers on the policy); vehicle information; and questions about the various things that can qualify you for driver discounts and rewards. The process is quick and easy, and online customers can complete their application with an e-signature.
Filing a Claim
Filing a claim is incredibly simple, thanks to 21st’s online claims center and its dedicated 21st Mobile App for iOS and Android. You can hop on your computer or smartphone to file a claim and upload supporting documentation. If you prefer doing things the old way, 21st has a toll-free phone line for claims at 888-244-6163.
California residents can contact 21st Century about vehicle insurance coverage via the following channels:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: To start a quote, call 1-877-310-5687 toll-free between Monday and Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. or Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time. For all other enquiries, call customer service on 1-877-401-8181.
- Mail: General enquiries should be addressed to 21st’s corporate headquarters at Farmers’ HQ in Delaware: 21st Century Insurance, 3 Beaver Valley Road, Wilmington, DE 19803.
21st Century manages to combine big and small. It is owned by the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies, the 5th-largest auto insurance company in the United States by market share. But as a separate company within the Farmers Group, 21st has been specializing in California auto insurance for more than 60 years – and continues to specialize to this day. 21st Century offers all the standard forms of compulsory car insurance and voluntary car insurance in California, as well as a host of driver rewards and discounts to enjoy policy holders are given an opportunity to lower the cost of their premium.