Clearcover is a FinTech company making a difference in the world of car insurance. It uses artificial intelligence to identify the right coverage for each customer, cutting the cost of its underwriting process and passing on most of the savings to the customer. Clearcover has received a lot of media attention for its cheap auto insurance. Users have reported savings hundreds of dollars with Clearcover compared to other auto insurance providers.
Pros and Cons
The main pro here is the potential to save lots of money on car insurance. Clearcover claims to have found a way to cut car insurance costs, and according to the various reports it has followed through with its promise. For example, Forbes reported on a customer getting coverage through Clearcover for her 2015 Mazda CX5 for about $100 per month, hundreds of dollars less than her previous policy. The Penny Hoarder reported on a 32-year-old Los Angeles man who was offered car insurance for $146 per month, $94 per month less than what he was offered by his existing insurer, State Farm.
Clearcover has invested a lot of money in perfecting online car insurance, but may need to do more on the telephone side of things. Some customers have reported being disappointed with response times from customer service, particularly when asking for a quote. It appears Clearcover is best used online. If you’re the type of person who prefers to speak to an insurance agent by phone, it may be best to look elsewhere.
Types of Auto Insurance
Clearcover has used AI and advanced technologies to improve the application and underwriting process. Behind it all, Clearcover offers the same standard types of car insurance you can expect of a good provider.
- Liability. Covers bodily injury liabilities and property damage liabilities when you are the at-fault driver in an accident.
- Collision. Covers the cost of vehicle repairs for damage in a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive. Covers cost of vehicle repairs after damage in a non-collision incident such as vandalism, theft, fire, or floor.
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist. Covers liabilities when the other driver is at fault but doesn’t have the right level of insurance coverage.
- Personal Injury Protection (known as Medical Payments in some states). Pays for hospital, rehab, and lost wages for you and your passengers, no matter who was at fault in the accident.
Clearcover offers many of the same features as the big vehicle insurance companies, but for a lower cost. Here are some of the add-ons and discounts you can find with Clearcover.
- Ridesharing endorsement. For an additional $10 per month, Clearcover covers you while you’re on the clock for Uber, Lyft, or any other approved ridesharing service.
- Discounts and rewards. Customers can get their insurance premium to go over lower with these discounts for safe driving, installing vehicle safety features, uploading e-documents, and paying your annual premium up front.
- Alternate transport coverage. Instead of forcing you to rent a car when your vehicle is in the shop, Clearcover gives you cash and lets you decide how to get around.
- Roadside assistance. Honk, Clearcover’s roadside assistance partner, has more than 56,000 service providers nationwide and lets you order roadside assistance 24/7 from your phone or tablet.
- Glass protection. Safelite, Clearcover’s glass partner, lets you book in glass repairs 24/7 via online booking with the help of live customer service representatives. Repairs are done at the most convenient location for you – this could be at your work, home or anywhere else you choose.
How to Apply
Applying for Clearcover is similar to applying for any other insurance provider, but behind the scenes its proprietary AI-powered technology works quickly to get you the cheapest rates. It is best to apply online, and all it requires is details about yourself and anyone else you’d like to add to the policy, details about the vehicle or vehicles you’d like to insure, and a few other details and disclosures. The system works very quickly, and it only take a couple of minutes to get a quote.
Filing a Claim
The Littleton Group is Clearcover’s claims partners, offering 24/7 support for claims of all types. Customers can make claims online, by phone, or best of all via Clearcover’s iOS and Android-compatible mobile apps. With the app, you can use Quickview ID to quickly pull up your details and file a claim.
Although Clearcover has only been around since 2018, it works with a financially stable underwriter named Response Indemnity Company of California to underwrite all policies. Response Indemnity Company is rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best Co., and is a subsidiary of the Fortegra family of companies out of Jacksonville, Florida.
As mentioned in the Pros and Cons section, Clearcover’s strength is its AI-powered rates tool. Having said that, Clearcover does offer customer support via the following contact channels.
- Phone: 855-243-2221
- Email: Direct contact form on website
- Address: 33 W Monroe St, Chicago, IL 60603
You can tell from the moment Clearcover’s website loads on your screen that this car insurance company is different from most of its rivals. The car insurance company is quite a conservative industry, and most insurers have websites that look like they’ve been around for a few years. With Clearcover, not only does the website look like it’s straight out of a tech company, but the service reflects that. Clearcover deploys AI technology to simplify the underwriting and claims processes, and passes on most of the savings to customers. Motorists have reported saving substantial amounts of money compared to their existing insurance providers. At a bare minimum, we recommend that drivers take a couple of minutes to request a quote from Clearcover and find out for themselves if this provider can save you money on auto insurance.