MetLife is one of the largest insurance companies in the United States, offering auto insurance in addition to home, life, and dental insurance. It has 90 million customers in more than 60 countries, and ranked 4rd in the Fortune 500 list of largest American corporations in 2018. It offers competitive car insurance as well as boat insurance and RV & motorcycle insurance. Based out of the MetLife Building in midtown Manhattan, it serves motorists in all 50 states.
Pros and Cons
Perhaps the biggest benefit of choosing MetLife is its size. As one of the largest providers of auto, home, and other insurance products in the U.S. and indeed in the entire world, it has the financial strength and security to pay out on claims. MetLife enjoys strong credit ratings from the major corporate credit ratings agencies such as Moody’s and S&P, which means you can sleep well at night when you purchase car insurance through them.
MetLife’s biggest upside is perhaps also its biggest downside. As such a large insurance provider, it doesn’t particularly specialize in any one thing. With MetLife, you’ll find competitive rates and stacks of useful add-ons, but you won’t necessarily get the type of customer service and detail to attention that you tend to find with some of the smaller car insurance companies. Another downside is that certain benefits aren’t available in all states.
Types of Auto Insurance
MetLife offers all the major types of auto insurance.
- Liability. Comprising Bodily Injury Liability and Property Damage Liability. Covers injuries to other motorists and/or damage to other people’s property if you’re the at-fault driver.
- Collision. Covers expenses related to repair or replacement of your vehicle if it’s damaged in a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive. Also covers damages to your vehicle, but for non-collision incidents such as fire, flood, vandalism, theft, or collision with an animal.
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist. Ensures all your liabilities are covered if the other driver is at fault but doesn’t have sufficient insurance coverage.
- Personal injury protection. If you or your passengers are hurt in an accident, this covers emergency treatment, medical care, rehabilitation, and lost income.
Customers can purchase or benefit from the following add-ons:
- Rental car coverage. If you’re involved in an accident while driving a rental anywhere in the United States, this covers you for costs charged to you by the rental agency. Includes the cost of repairs, handling expenses, decrease in market value of the rental (not available in North Carolina), and related expenses like towing and storage.
- New car replacement: If you total a new car within the first 12 months or first 15,000 miles of purchase, MetLife will repair it or replace it with another new car without deducting for depreciation.
- Major parts replacement: Covers replacement of major parts like tires, brakes, and batteries. (This add-on isn’t available in North Carolina.)
- Glass repairs. If your windshield is chipped or cracked, the insurer will repair it and waive your deductible.
- Towing and Roadside Assistance: If your vehicle breaks down, this add-on will reimburse you for any charges for towing and other roadside assistance.
- Legal defense costs: Covers legal fees in the event of a lawsuit related to an accident. You’ll be reimbursed up to $200 per day for lost wages if you’re required to attend a hearing or trial.
- Lease/loan Gap coverage. If you finance or lease your vehicle, gap coverage will pay the difference between your unpaid balance and the cash value of your vehicle in the event you suffer a total loss.
- Bundle and Save. MetLife rewards you for purchasing multiple types of insurance. With ComboSM Insurance, you bundle your auto and home coverage into one package at a reduced rate. With GrandProtect, you bundle any of auto, home, RV, boat, condo, apartment, rental property, personal property, and liability into one package for a reduced rate. Unfortunately, bundles are unavailable or restricted in certain states, including New York.
How to Apply
To get a quote, call 1-844-569-3607 to speak directly to a MetLife agent or follow the prompts on the MetLife website to get an online quote. When filling out the online form, you’ll be asked to enter personal details; information about your driving history and the driving record of any other applicants you’re planning to include in the policy; information about the vehicle or vehicles; and any information that might qualify you for insurance discounts, such as where you work or groups where you have membership or affiliation.
Filing a Claim
Policy holders have several different options when it comes to filing claims.
- Call the claims service at 1-800-854-6011, available 24/7
- File via the eService online portal
- Use MetLife’s mobile app, available for download on iOS and Android devices
MetLife offers the following contact channels.
- Email: To email MetLife, use the direct contact form under the Contact Us button in the top-right corner of the MetLife website home page.
- Phone: For MetLife’s main switchboard, call 1-800-METLIFE (1-800-638-5433). For the Auto & Home department, call 1-800-422-4272.
- Mail: MetLife Services and Solutions, LLC, 200 Park Avenue, New York, NY, 10166
MetLife is a solid auto insurance option for motorists looking for competitive rates, and especially for motorists that are open to purchasing multiple forms of auto coverage to reduce their premium. MetLife is a massive insurance corporation, serving all 50 states and offering all standard forms of auto coverage as well a several useful add-ons. No matter where in the U.S. you live, you should be able to find insurance coverage to suit your needs – whether it’s compulsory vehicle insurance to satisfy your state’s driving requirements or voluntary add-ons to ensure you’re covered in every possible scenario.